In the last 5 months, we've gone just over 8,000 miles. That's a lot of wear and tear on a heavy old vehicle like Harvey, and it was time to give him some TLC. It's been hard to post after putting in 12 hour days as a mechanic, so here's a round-up of our recent repairs.
A short list of things we've repaired lately:
- New front control arm bushings - We just couldn't get the front wheels to align anymore.
- New front wheel bearings and tires - Harvey needed more than just a new pair of shoes.
- New transmission lines and bushing - We temporarily lost overdrive because of a pressure leak from the old lines. I was adding a quart of trans fluid a day to keep us going until we got it fixed.
- New powersteering pump - Our 4th one-apparently remanufactured pumps aren't so hot...
- New radiator - Mistakes were made. We can't prove Cody's wrench slipped and punctured the old one during the umpteenth powersteering pump swap, but there's a preponderance of evidence.
- New oxygen sensor - After several runs through the mountain I couldn't figure out why our gas mileage didn't come back until I checked out the error codes - on these old Toyotas all you need is a paperclip! Two bolts and a new sensor brought us back up to 16 mpg.
- New spark plug wires - After our head rebuild, the old wires were left in contact with the manifold. As soon as we put in a full day of driving, they melted. Fortunately, Harvey's tough enough to make it back to town on two cylinders!
- Intake, fuel injector, and cold start injector cleaning - After all this time, our fuel system needed a good going over to get rid of built-up gunk.
- New battery tie-down and starter terminal - Improvised from paracord since I can't find the original part. I had to wire the starter back in after it bounced loose in Homolovi, NM, and I vowed that the battery would never move again.